For many men, the appearance of a firm, toned chest cannot be achieved no matter how many hours they spend at the gym. This is due to a condition called gynecomastia, which is characterized by enlarged, feminine-looking breasts. When we see patients at the Polacek Center for Plastic Surgery near Providence for male breast reduction, or gynecomastia correction, they often express embarrassment and discomfort due to their appearance. Many tell us that they will not wear certain types of clothing, go shirtless, or participate in certain physical activities. Dr. Lori Polacek performs male breast reduction to help men who suffer from gynecomastia improve their confidence and lead fuller, more active lives.
If you would like to learn more about your Rhode Island male breast reduction options, request a consultation online or call us at (401) 331-0202 and we will schedule your appointment.
Choosing Male Breast Reduction
An increasing number of men are choosing male breast reduction to:
- Reduce breast volume and create a more masculine appearance
- Eliminate excess, sagging skin
- Reposition nipples to a more natural placement
As a board-certified Providence, Rhode Island plastic surgeon, Dr. Polacek is highly trained in the most advanced techniques for procedures such as male breast reduction. She will work with you to ensure that you are confident in your choice and that you understand every aspect of the procedure and recovery.
The Male Breast Reduction Procedure
Dr. Polacek will determine the best approach to your surgery based on the degree of reduction needed and the type of tissue to be removed. In most cases, a combination of surgical excision and liposuction in Rhode Island is used for optimal slimming and re-shaping of the chest.
- Liposuction – If the majority of the fullness in the breasts is due to fatty tissue, good results may be achieved through liposuction alone. Liposuction requires tiny incisions through which a suction tube, or cannula, is inserted. This tube is gently moved back and forth through the fatty tissue, breaking it up and suctioning it away. In cases where there is excess glandular tissue or significantly sagging skin, surgical removal may be required.
- Surgical Excision – During surgical excision, an incision is made along the border of the areola (the dark circle of skin around the nipple). This decreases visible scarring, and may also be used to reduce the size of enlarged nipples. Using this incision, Dr. Polacek removes excess tissue and reshapes the remaining tissue to create a firmer, more masculine appearance.
Following surgery, you will need to rest and limit your activities for a few days. Dr. Polacek will give you detailed instructions for your aftercare, and will monitor your recovery closely. After 1 to 2 weeks, your bruising and swelling will subside and you will begin to enjoy the results of your surgery. However, subtle changes will continue over the course of several months.
Click the images below for a more detailed view: